Some casino games are simply iconic in the industry. Games, that when people mention the name, triggers a memory response to a film or casino experience you might have had. Craps is one such game; commonly affiliated to James Bond movies and other Vegas-themed films.
The popularity of the game is undeniable, especially within the USA and Australia. It feels almost like a team sport because it is one of those games that will have everyone around the table cheering and congratulating each other as the dice are rolled.
What is craps?
Craps is an exciting dice game played on a large table with high side cushions. The players around the table place wagers on the roll or a series of rolls of a pair of dice. Each player will have a session as the shooter (dice thrower) while the other players can lodge a variety of different types of bets between rolls.
If you’re lucky, you can win whopping rewards of up to 5 times your stake. This house edge can be lowered and your chances increased when playing field bets.
Where did craps begin?
Historians believe that the Romans played the first crude forms of craps, where the dice were crafted from pig knuckle bone.
Various entertaining dice games did the rounds in Europe for centuries, but it wasn’t until the Western European game of Hazard was introduced to New Orleans, USA, that the game was modified for commercial use and renamed ‘craps’.
It is for this reason that you can attend any prominent casino in the US, and you will find this iconic dice game. Aussies have developed a particular penchant for the game too. It can easily be accessed on Aussie-friendly online casinos, or players can head to brick and mortar venues to enjoy the game in person.
Advantages of playing craps
There are some great drawcards to playing craps, otherwise, it would not be as popular as it is. These advantages include:
- When played in the Live or brick and mortar casino arena, the game is probably the liveliest and most socially bonding option out there.
- Craps is easy to learn to play.
- Craps is based on the luck of the dice, so less effort is needed to become the winner in this game.
- There are a variety of bet types, which means that the game caters to a wide audience of players.
If you haven’t yet had the pleasure of playing craps, it is easily accessible online, where you can play in privacy while you learn the ins and outs of the exciting passage of play.
Skill and strategy
The throw of the dice is chance-based, so guessing the exact outcome of any round is not easy, but it is filled with fun and suspense. Certain advantageous strategies can be used for your betting.
Common strategies include:
- The Iron Cross
- 3 Point Molly
- Inside 22
- Playing the Don’t Pass Line
- Stacking the Pass Line
For more in-depth information on how to play craps and execute the best strategy possible, be sure to read our How to Play Craps Online page to clean up at the craps table.
How to choose the best online craps casino
Where you play online craps can have a direct effect on the quality of your casino experience.
At DiceDealer, we settle for nothing less than the best when it comes to our Aussie players. The below list of important criteria forms part of our process in selecting the best craps casinos for Aussies.
Top craps bonuses
Claiming bonus offers is all part of the online casino experience. Many standard Welcome Offers and Reload bonuses can be used on craps, however, the game weighting when it comes to the wagering may differ.
It is expedient for players to search out casinos that offer lucrative Live Dealer casino bonuses, as these can usually be used to play live craps.
Using bonuses boosts your bankroll more so that you can spend less of your own money on gameplay. It’s a win, win situation – use bonus credits to win bonus money!
Game variation by the best providers
The two main game variations of craps online are the virtual game and the live dealer game. Virtual craps allows you to play in a computer-generated environment where everything looks realistic and lifelike. The game outcomes are managed by sophisticated RNG software. The advantages of playing like this include:
- You can play at your own pace.
- Your gameplay remains private.
Live craps is the closest thing to land-based casino play but can be enjoyed from the comfort and convenience of your own home.
The dealers are real, the throws are authentic, and the atmosphere is immersive. Enjoy real-time action via video stream thanks to the intelligent interfaces on your device.
Be sure to play craps games offered by the best game providers, if you want the best overall experience. These top leading names include Microgaming, Playtech, Betsoft in the virtual field, and Evolution Gaming in the Live Craps arena.
Can I play craps on mobile?
In the current market, being able to play casino games via your mobile phone and tablet is essential. One account will generally grant you convenient access to both the desktop and mobile sites of any casino.
There are two exciting and seamless ways to play mobile craps.
- Download a casino app to your mobile device: The software ensures that the gameplay is seamless and smooth on your smaller display. Aussies have easy access to this software at supporting casinos.
- Play instantly from your mobile browser: Most modern casinos use HTML5 browser technology on their site. This technology modifies the experience specifically for the device interface using the platform. Play quickly and easily without any added downloads for the ultimate gambling experience.
The convenience of playing from your mobile is second to none. Simply whip out your phone and play craps in a bank queue, while commuting on the bus, or while you are on your lunch break at work – the options are in your hands.
How to play craps safely
It is possible to make sure that the craps game you are about to play is safe.
- Licensing: Is it well licensed by a reputable regulator?
- Certification: Has the software been audited by an industry-leading company?
- Security: Is the site you are playing on secured with SSL certificates?
For a more in-depth look at how to play safe, be sure to read our helpful Payments and Safety page.
Play craps responsibly
When playing craps, you need to be responsible. Always implement constraints on your bankroll and approach the game to have fun and always enjoy your sessions. You should always bet what you can afford.
Top Aussie casinos will give you the necessary tools to practice responsible gambling. Management tools can be toggled on and off from your account settings, or you can contact customer care to take care of it for you.
Can I play craps at a land-based casino?
While playing craps online is super-convenient, sometimes playing the real deal is just a little more thrilling. Fortunately for Aussies, there are several superb commercial casinos in Straya offering craps in the general setting or in exclusive VIP rooms for the luxurious touch.
Some of the top craps joints in the country include:
- The Crown – Melbourne
- The Crown – Sydney
- Adelaide Casino
- Country Club Tasmania
- The Star – Gold Coast
- The Star Sydney
Why not book a weekend’s stay at one of these first-class land-based casino resorts to enjoy the best gambling experience Australia has to offer? There are many amenities and services to make your stay perfect.
How to get started when playing craps
You can start playing craps in 5 easy steps and look forward to earning some great cash for your efforts.
- Learn the exciting gameplay: The fundamental key to doing well with craps comes with understanding how the game works.
- Learn great strategy: Craps fans all use some good betting strategy to set themselves up for success at the dice tables.
- Join the best Australian-friendly online casino: Use the pointers you have learned in this guide to find the best casino for you, or simply trust DiceDealer to provide you with the top Aussie-friendly casino brands. Join up by registering an account with them.
- Claim your bonus offer: After the ‘Join Up’ form has been completed, make sure you claim your live welcome bonus for extra funds to boost your bankroll.
- Deposit your funds: Head to the cashier/deposit page to select your Australian-supported payment method and make your first deposit payment.
Once all 5 steps are complete, you can head to your favourite craps game of choice and place your first wager. Exercise some patience and you could be looking at a rewarding time at the tables.
Top craps FAQs
Where did craps get its name?
The name derives from the French word ‘’crapaud’’ which means toad. This is probably a reference to the way players crouch when they through the dice in street games.
Can you play craps on mobile?
Yes, craps is conveniently available for mobile players via various casino apps or at first-class online casinos that offer games in HTML5 instant-play format.
Is there any skill involved in playing craps?
Rolling dice is chance-based. The variety of betting varieties allow for different odds though, so your decisions can affect the outcome of the game for yourself.
Can Craps be beaten?
Craps produces winners consistently. It’s good to remember though, that the casino always has the edge.
Is online craps legit?
Yes, when played at a licensed casino, the RNGs and gaming software are regularly tested and certified fair.