Pokies are by far the most popular game type at casinos around the world. The sheer volume of titles spread out over diverse styles and genres all adds to the appeal of these games. No matter the occasion, you should always find a game style to match the mood you are in.
Amidst the large selection of pokies available at both online and land-based casinos or pubs in Australia, classic pokies are some of the most iconic and remain firm favourites amongst veteran gamblers.
What are Classic Pokies?
‘Classic Pokie’ is a term that refers to the original traditional style of pokie games that were introduced at land-based casinos several decades back.
While the original games were mechanical in nature, new technology and updated software have been integrated into the machines to recreate the look and feel of the pokies and provide visually enhanced gameplay that still feels authentic. No longer do you have to pull the machine arm to get the game rolling; a simple click of a button or a tap of the screen will do the trick.
The main characteristic of a Classic Pokie is the simplicity of the gameplay. There are few, if any, features and bonuses involved. This way, you rely more on the base gameplay for rewards.
There are several ways to easily identify a Classic Pokie at first glance:
- They usually have 3 reels that spin on the screen.
- The paylines numbers vary between 1 and 9.
- The most popular symbols on the reels include traditional Fruit Symbols, Sevens, Bells, Bars, and Stars.
- The game sounds are generic with ‘beeps’ and other basic identifiable signals.
While the above traits represent the most traditional classic games, there are more modern versions available today as well. Here, game makers have spliced together some of the traits of Video Pokie games with classic games to provide a Classic Hybrid.
These may still have the traditional symbols you are familiar with, but often include a few additional features, reels, and paylines in the mix.
The Advantages of Playing Classic Pokies
As with all game variants, they have a following for a reason. The advantages of playing classic pokies include:
- The gameplay and mechanics are far simpler, making it easier to play.
- The game is devoid of bonus gimmicks, making the game easier to concentrate on.
- All rewards come from the base game, which means you do not have to wait for special rounds to trigger before you can land big wins.
- Several top pokie providers make these great games, ensuring that you can enjoy the best titles seamlessly on your mobile or desktop device.
If you are an easy-going player that has no need for flashy features to entertain yourself, then classic pokies could be a good fit for you, despite the conservative approach of amusement they offer.
Popular Features in Classic Pokies
There are a few basic special features that you are likely to come across when playing these pokies:
- Scatters: Scatter symbols have been changed into bonus triggering symbols in modern pokie games. Originally, the scatter is a special symbol that lands in scattered positions on the reels for payouts. It is unlike conventional symbols which would need to line up along payline patterns on the screen to produce rewards. Scatter rewards are usually based on a multiplier of your total bet, offering you bigger payouts.
- Wilds: Wilds are symbols that are still used in all pokie game styles to this day. They substitute for normal symbols to complete winning combinations. It is not uncommon for a Wild win to come with a multiplier value attached.
- Gamble Feature: A slightly more involved feature, some games will allow you to play a game of ‘risk’ after you land a win on the reels. You can opt to gamble the win for a chance to double it. This game’s outcome usually revolves around the choosing of the colour or suit of the next card in the pack. A successful guess will double your money and give you another chance to increase the yield.
- Free Spins: This was a later addition to the Classic Pokie segment but is a well-known feature among Video Pokie enthusiasts. Triggering a free spin bonus could grant you extra spins of the reels without a cost. The top payouts in a game are most frequently found here.
The bonus features in classic games usually add tremendous value to the gameplay and are part of the recipe that produces big wins.
Top Game Providers and Software for the Classics
While many game providers are offering Classic Pokies, it is always advisable to stay with the best-licensed makers. These include premium brands like NetEnt, Play’n GO, Playtech, Microgaming, IGT, WMS, Bally, Barcrest, Aristocrat, and others.
Software from such providers ensures seamless integration across device platforms. Mobile players have access to many of the best titles via either a mobile app on their phone or tablet or via their instant play browser. With either option, customers can enjoy playing these traditional games while ‘on the go’.
Top Classic Pokies FAQs
Are pokies the same as slot machines?
Yes, Pokie is a term unique to Australia and New Zealand for what is commonly known around the world as a slot machine.
Can I play Classic Pokies in Australia?
Yes, there are plenty of online casino sites, several land-based casinos, and hundreds of pubs offering Classic Pokies for your entertainment in Australia.
What is the difference between Classic Pokies and Modern Pokies?
Classic Pokies are simpler and more easy-going casino slot games with fewer features and bonuses. Modern Pokies normally have more reels and paylines and support a greater diversity of exciting storylines and themes.
Are Online Classic Pokies Reliable?
Yes, licensed casinos test their games for fairness through leading auditing houses like eCogra, TST, iTech Labs, GLI, and others. Certification here guarantees that the software and RNGs perform reliably.
Can I Play Classic Pokies on my Mobile?
Yes, several game providers code their games for instant play from your mobile browser or optimised mobile apps.